Thursday, September 24, 2009

P90X Day 47: Legs & Back + Ab Ripper X

My 21-month-old has a cold, and his sniffles and cries kept me awake for much of the night. When the alarm clock went off at 5:15 this morning, I wanted to fling it across the room.

But I didn't. It's tough waking up to Legs & Back (my least favorite P90X video) after just a few hours of fitful sleep, but at this point, I can't take a break for a day without risking the total derailment of my exercise routine. I'm the type of person who's all too eager to run down a slippery slope; if I deviate from the P90X plan even slightly, I could very well decide to stop entirely.

So I got up, changed, inhaled a bowl of yogurt, and dragged myself into the garage. I pressed play on the DVD player for what seems like the millionth time and dove into Legs & Back. I didn't up my reps or weights by much, but surprisingly, by the third exercise or so, I started feeling pretty good. I was totally alert. My legs felt stronger than they have since the start of Phase 2, and my pull-up form felt tighter and more controlled. By the time I finished the set of Mason twists at the end of Ab Ripper X (I did 80!), I wasn't tired anymore, despite having punished my glutes, hamstrings, calves, back and core for an intense hour and twenty minutes. Either I'm getting (slightly) better at this, or my body and brain were overcompensating for my lack of Zs.

I hate to say it, but I think P90X (or, at the very least, physical exercise) has become an integral part of my morning. Without it, my day wouldn't feel complete.

(Of course, this means I'm going to be stuck with Tony Horton for a good long time. I desperately need some new videos.)