Tuesday, September 8, 2009

P90X Day 31: Back & Biceps + Ab Ripper X

Just as I was starting to think I could hang with Tony and his cohorts as they cranked through the P90X videos, they threw me for a loop with Back & Biceps.

This relatively-short (51-minute) program was, to put it mildly, a killer. I started off just fine -- I did a set of wide grip pull-ups, lawnmowers, and the "Twenty-One" bicep curls without any problem -- and then I just fell off a cliff.

Here's the list of medieval tortures to which I was subjected this morning:
  • Wide Grip Pull-Ups
  • Lawnmowers
  • Twenty-Ones
  • One-Arm Cross-Body Curls
  • Switch Grip Pull-Ups
  • Elbows-Out Lawnmowers
  • Standing Bicep Curls
  • One-Arm Concentration Curls
  • Corn Cob Pull-Ups (see below for a video clip of this obscenity)
  • Reverse Grip Bent Over Rows
  • Open-Arm Curls
  • Static-Arm Curls
  • Towel Pull-Ups
  • Congdon Locomotives
  • Crouching Cohen Curls
  • One-Arm Corkscrew Curls
  • Chin-Ups
  • Seated Bent-Over Back Flys
  • Curl-Up/Hammer-Downs
  • Hammer Curls
  • Max Rep Pull-Ups
  • Supermans (Supermen?)
  • In-Out Hammer Curls
  • Strip-Set Curls
I started off with fairly heavy weights, but towards the end of the workout, I was astonished by the fact that I could barely manage to do curls with light (15 to 20 pound) dumbbells. And an hour and a half after finishing this workout, I still shudder at the thought of Corn Cob Pull-Ups.




Shockingly, by the time Ab Ripper X started, I actually let out a sigh of relief.