Tuesday, September 1, 2009

P90X Day 24: Kenpo X

Kenpo X is the weakest, least "EXTREME" of the P90X routines I've completed thus far (not counting X Stretch). I usually approach my morning workouts with a mix of fear and giddy anticipation, but I haven't been able to muster up any excitement for Kenpo X. Fed up with the half-assed nature of this workout, I went to the teambeachbody.com message boards to scare up some advice on how to crank up its intensity.

The two best pieces of advice I got were to: (1) use weights -- light dumbbells or weighted gloves/ankle weights -- while performing the Kenpo X moves; and (2) add focus, intensity and speed to the workout -- even during the short breaks between circuits.

I incorporated both approaches into this morning's Kenpo X session, and I'm happy to report that with these modifictions, this workout has finally joined the more intense of the P90X cardio routines. I used 3-pound dumbbells through most of the moves (very effective when performing the jab/hook/uppercut combos), and during the breaks, I substituted fast high-knee jumps, front kicks, squat-jacks and X-jacks, and tried to do them at a faster pace than Tony and his on-screen minions.

At the end of the hour, I was drenched in sweat.

One more side benefit of using dumbbells during Kenpo X: it forced me to be more vigilant about maintaining proper form, because I really wanted to avoid injuring myself. (I'd hate to have to explain that I got hurt lifting 3-pound weights.)