Tuesday, August 11, 2009

P90X Day 3: Shoulders & Arms + Ab Ripper X

Today's workout seemed a bit less strenuous than Plyo or Chest & Back, but only because the moves were limited to my shoulders and arms, giving the rest of my sore body a much-needed break.

Initially, I was surprised that I couldn't lift as much weight as I normally do when I work my arms, but quickly figured out the reason: P90X's Shoulders & Arms program quickly marches through 15 different exercises targeting the same cluster of muscles, all performed to exhaustion, while my normal, pre-P90X routine was to sleepwalk through 3 to 5 different exercises, all performed while watching TV between sets (and sometimes even between reps). With P90X's Shoulders & Arms program, groupings of two to four exercises form a circuit, performed with little to no rest in between. Even after lifting lighter weights, I was pretty much spent (and a dripping, sweaty mess) at the end of the hour.

Lesson learned: This is circuit training, not traditional weight training.

Here's what I did this morning:

First Circuit:
  • Alternating Shoulder Presses
  • In & Out Bicep Curls
  • Two Arm Tricep Kickbacks
  • Repeat
Second Circuit:
  • Deep Swimmer's Presses
  • Full Supination Concentration Curls
  • Chair Dips
  • Repeat
Third Circuit:
  • Static Arm Curls
  • Flip-Grip Twist Triceps Kickbacks
  • Repeat
Fourth Circuit:
  • Seated Two-Angle Shoulder Flys
  • Crouching Cohen Curls
  • Lying-Down Triceps Extensions
  • Repeat
Bonus Circuit:
  • In & Out Straight-Arm Shoulder Flys
  • Congdon Curls
  • Side Tri-Raises
  • Repeat
And after Shoulders & Arms were done, I had to get through yet another session of Ab Ripper X. I'll detail this particularly torturous workout in a future post, but for now, let me just say that I fucking dread the 300+ reps of ab exercises contained in Ab Ripper X. After an hour of huffing and puffing, the last thing I need is another 15 minutes of gut-wrenching twists and crunches.

Bye for now.